Untitled by Holmes, Oliver Wendell Jr.

Pub Date-March 1944
Source-Academic Journal;
Mar 1944,Vol.64 Issue 7,p422
Abstract-The article presents a statement related to landscape.
「美國大城市的死和生」卷首作者引用

Until lately, the best thing that I was able to think of in favor of civilization, apart from blind acceptance of the order of the universe,
除了無條件地接受宇宙之秩序外, 近來我最讚賞的文明之功績
was that it made possible the artist, the poet, and the man of science.
是它造就了藝術家、詩人、哲學家和科學家。
But I think that is not the greatest thing. Now
但是,我現在認為文明最偉大之處並不在於此
I believe that the greatest thing is a matter that comes directly home to us all.
而在於這芸芸眾生都能直接感受到的事物。

When it is said that we are too much occupied with the means of living to live,
人們常說 我們太沉溺於生活的方式,我卻要說
I answer that the chief worth of civilization is just that it makes the means of living more complex;
文明的價值就在於讓生活方式更加複雜;

that it calls for great and combined intellectual efforts, instead of simple, uncoordinated ones,
人們的衣食住行需要的不僅是努力工作,還要用頭腦思考,
in order that the crowd may be fed and clothed and housed and moved from place to place.
而不是簡簡單單、互不關聯的行為。

Because more complex and intense intellectual efforts mean a fuller and richer life. They mean more life.
因為,更複雜、更深入的思考,意味著更充實、更豐富的生活,意味著旺盛的生命。
Life is an end in itself, and the only question as to whether it is worth living is whether you have enough of it.
生活本身就是目的。若問生活有價值否,唯一答案就是你是否擁有足夠的生活。
I will add but a word. We are all very near despair.
還有一點不能忘記。我們每個人都已瀕臨絕望,我們正在漩渦中下沉。

The sheathing that floats us over its waves is compounded of hope,
托起我們的身體使我們浮處水面的,是希望,
faith in the unexplainable worth and sure issue of effort,
是對生活的價值和我們的努力的不可解釋的信念,
and the deep, sub-conscious content which comes from the exercise of our powers.
是心靈深處源自我們力量之發揮的潛意識。

0 Comentarios